Values integration is more than just teaching the students what is right, it is about promoting within the students positive perceptions of life including:
- That Studying and working hard are acts of worship.
- To love and forgive each other for the sake of Allah (SWT).
- To repel evil with good.
- To love for others what you love for yourself
- Modesty in dress and actions at all times
Through education we achieve enlightenment. In the conditions of enlightenment we make informed choices that become the guiding influences in our lives.
The Australian Islamic College aims to equip students to make such enlightened decisions based on a broader awareness of the needs of society.
• Our language enriches us and enables us to articulate each and every thought, idea, observation, feeling or moment we cherish. Our language is not the instrument of our intellectual imprisonment.
• Our religion enlightens us and, inspires us towards our higher selves and our noblest, divinely endowed potentialities. Our religion is not the medium which drives us towards evil deeds and badness and mindlessness.
• Our culture empowers us to draw from the best of received wisdom and acquire cultural behaviours which are uniquely beautiful and supportive of a cultural order. Our culture is not the vehicle of static rituals, myths and symbols.
With a broader appreciation of our culture and faith our students can come to appreciate the positive contribution they can make to society. Through values integration our next generation of children will know how to deal with the ever changing world, while maintaining proper conduct and morals.
Values Integration is about teaching students how to use their knowledge for the betterment of themselves and society. The outcome is not what society can offer us but what we as individuals can offer society to make the world a better place.
Islamic Values integration teaches that God-consciousness and morality are the foundations of a healthy society. AIC endeavours to ensure a future generation of students who will not only graduate with strong academic achievements, but also with a strong identification towards the well-being of society underpinned by values such as power of knowledge, respect, responsibility, forgiveness, truthfulness, cooperation, etc.
Students are taught that good conduct, behaviour and self-development are all acts of worship. To strive to achieve one’s full potential is seen as a duty. The benefits are long lasting and far-reaching providing practical solutions to save society billions of dollars.
Just consider the positive societal benefits from a generation of young adults not involved in consumption of alcohol, illicit drug use, who have strong work ethics and high morals in all dealings with others.
You will find values emphasis apparent in every facet of College life – from room decorations to assembly presentations. To improve and reflect upon moral values and attitudes, each week students focus on a particular value as a ‘Theme of the week’. such as “Justice”,”Tolerance”.
The existence, the love and fear of Allah (SWT) is constantly conveyed to students. It is a College policy that teachers in all subject areas deliberately acknowledge Allah (SWT) and incorporate values in all lessons throughout the day. These efforts reflect AIC’s view of the ‘holistic’ development of its student, both academically, spiritually and physically.