- Principal's Message
- Staff at Thornlie
- Buildings & Facilities
- Parents and Friends
- Campus Handbook
- News & Events
Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,
Peace and blessings be upon you all.
Welcome to our school website, the Australian Islamic College – Thornlie Campus.
This website gives you information about our school – its ethos, curriculum, staff members, students, school policies, Parents & Friends Association and school activities and events throughout the year.
Our school strives for academic excellence underpinned by strong moral values that gives them an understanding of the purpose of their learning. At our school, we have high expectations for our students. Our objective is to develop students’ skills that will enable them, as god-fearing people, to live successfully and as good citizens who contribute positively and significantly to the betterment of society.
The staff at our school are highly professional, hard-working, motivated and dedicated in ensuring the effectiveness of teaching and learning. To build teacher capacity, our teachers work in collaboration with each other, sharing good practice through IRIS Connect Application. To ensure that our teachers continue to grow and develop, the school provides many opportunities throughout the year to engage with professional learnings.
In addition, the welfare and wellbeing of our students are a top priority. Our school delivers a curriculum which is in accordance with SCASA Guidelines. We create meaningful learning activities that are catered to all students and their abilities. Our teachers deliver lessons using schoolwide pedagogy “Explicit Direct Instructions” which focus on teacher clarity and High Impact Teaching Strategies.
ICT is integrated across the curriculum. We have a school library with a teacher librarian who is very dedicated to encouraging and developing students’ love of reading to improve their literacy skills through the “Accelerated Reading” and “MyOn” Program. We have a Digital Technologies Lab with a specialist who is committed to teaching our students to develop 21st Century skills. All our classrooms are equipped with Interactive Whiteboards, computers, laptops and iPads that that are regularly updated with the latest technology. Other resources, such as instant access to information via the internet and many other varieties of online resources further enhance the teaching and learning experience. Robotics such as Ozobot, Bluebot, Edison and Sphero robots are also available. Our Physical Education specialist provides students with incursions and excursions that engage our students with a range of sport activities.
All students have the right to learn safely and successfully. In supporting students to achieve their greatest potential, positive reinforcement has an important role in nurturing students’ behaviour in our school. Quality pastoral care is provided by our behaviour management team and school counsellor. The “You Can Do It” program (along with PATS Program for Early Childhood) is delivered in the health lessons to help students achieve skills for success, which are Confidence, Organisation, Resilience, Persistence and Getting Along (Five Keys of Success). Protective Behaviours Curriculum is implemented to educate our students of their right to feel safe at all times and to give them some strategies to stay safe.
One of the many factors that play a significant role in achieving educational goals is effective communication between students, teachers and parents. We encourage a strong collaboration and partnership between school and home – teachers and parents support the achievement of goals. Teachers, school management and parents have the same core interest, which is students’ success. Parents are strongly encouraged to use the ‘Parent Portal’ for easy access to their children’s progress report and information on other school activities and school related matters.
One of the most difficult decisions that parents must make is to select a school for their children. You secure your children’s future by selecting our school. Please visit our website to gain information about our school. You are also welcome to visit our school directly to see what our school offers for your children’s education and their future.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any queries by making an appointment with the front office. Meeting and working together with you and your children would be our greatest pleasure.
Mrs Endah Hayes
Staff at AIC Thornlie Campus
I – Administration Staff
- Br Abdullah Khan – Executive Principal
- Mrs Endah Hayes – Principal
- Mrs Kayann Abrahams – Curriculum Coordinator
- Sr Sumayah Atayee – Early Childhood Coordinator
- Sr Likaa Abdul Rahman – Inclusive Education Coordinator
- Sr Rahnuma Nasrin – STEM Coordinator
- Sh Mubarak Omo – Quran Coordinator
- Sr Parveen Neyaz – Behaviour Coordinator
II – Teaching Staff
Our school delivers quality education which is underpinned by strong morals and values. This determines the way our school recruits teachers.
At our school, teachers are highly qualified and experienced, and are highly motivated, committed and dedicated. Teachers are registered with Teaching Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) and hold Working with Children Check (WWCC).
Some of our school’s strengths include:
- Unity and collaboration among all teaching staff in creating a positive Islamic values-based learning environment for our students.
- Teachers are passionate about teaching our students to achieve success in this life and in the Here-After.
- The relationship between education and religion is inseparable. Our highly qualified and experienced teachers have a vast knowledge of curriculum, current best practice and school pedagogy. They place a great emphasis on creating a learning environment that fosters moral values and high academic excellence.
- Teachers believe that every student has the potential to succeed and they provide students with dynamic and exciting learning opportunities that ensure their full engagement and participation to excel.
- Teachers respect differences in students and ensure inclusiveness.
- Teachers are understanding, caring, just and fair.
- Teachers are good role models and display good disposition for our students.
- Remedial teachers work one-to-one with a small group of students to support the class teachers to improve students’ learning performance.
- Educational Assistants work with small groups of students and support students with special needs.
- School counsellor works in collaboration with Behaviour Coordinator and Inclusive Education Coordinator to look after the mental health and wellbeing of our students.
Building and Facilities
Australian Islamic College Thornlie is co-educational K to 6. Our school building is comprised of:
- Administration Office
- Classrooms within A Block, B Block and C Block
- Digital Technologies Lab
- 2 storey library & theatre
- School oval and play areas
- Toilet Block and Wudhu area
- Under-cover areas
- School Canteen
- Staff, parents and visitor car parking area
Alhamdulillah, all classrooms in the C Block have been renovated recently to give a fresh and up-to-date look. Insha-Allah, by early 2021 we will:
- Build more classrooms in the Early Childhood area
- Rebuild all classrooms in the A Block,
- Build a gymnasium (multipurpose hall)
- Renovate classrooms in the B Block
To maximise safety and security, the school is equipped with security cameras, alarm system and a security guard.
AIC Thornlie Campus – ’Parents & Friends’ Association
Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi wabarakatuh
The ‘Parents & Friends’ Association is open to all parents and friends of the Australian Islamic College Thornlie Campus community.
P&F meetings are a great place to find out what is happening in the school, gain a better understanding about school policies and activities, make a comment, raise a concern or ask a question, and get to know other parents in our school community.
At AIC Thornlie Campus, the P&F and the school have a very close and positive relationship. The P&F is one avenue you may like to explore to support the school in making AIC Thornlie Campus an even better place for your children and our students.
At AIC Thornlie Campus the aim of P & F is to:
- Connect with each other socially and with the school
- Contribute to their children’s school activities
- Create opportunities to get together and be involved in the school community
- Build and strengthen community spirit and enhance communication within our family involvement in the AIC School community.
- Exchange ideas on current issues
- Give back through volunteering time and expertise
- Promote a positive learning and social environment;
- Act as a liaison between the school and parents;
- Support Class Representatives;
- Provide a forum for parents to find out what is happening and what is planned for the school;
- Raise funds to provide services, facilities and equipment for the school;
- Support school services including the Uniform shop, School canteen and Breakfast for Students
- Support school graduation
- Provide support and advice to the Principal and Executive team;
Any parent/carer is welcome to participate as a member of the P&F. Nominations take place annually at the P&F Annual General Meeting. All parents, staff and any other members of the school community are welcome to attend the meetings.
Parents can come to the classroom to assist with activities like reading, art, Physical Education and many other things. Parents can involve in the curriculum and learning and teaching at the school by
- Attending parent information sessions organised by the school
- Attending Parent – Teacher meeting held once per term
- Individual appointment with the teachers
- Attending workshops e.g. social media, better parenting, managing challenging children etc. by external speakers organised by school.
Parents can share this information with the whole school community and can build on this by asking those parents who have little or no involvement to get involved in one of these areas and thereby building a school community that is active and involved.
News and events
School Annual Events – Thornlie Campus
Our school is a very busy and dynamic place of learning and activities. The school annual events are :
- ICAS in Digital Technologies, Science, English, Spelling, Writing and Maths
- ACER Diagnostic Testing
- Mid-term and End-of-term Testing, Student Portfolio and Semester Reports
- Harmony Day Celebration
- Eid Celebration
- Literacy and Numeracy Week
- Book Week
- Science Week
- Quran Competition
- School Breakfast for students
- Sport carnivals
- Extra-curricular activities – during and after school
- Inter-campus sporting events and competitions
- Swimming lessons
- Class Assembly Presentations
- Seerah Week
- Graduation Ceremony
- Kindy Orientation Day
- Pre-Primary Information Session
- Excursions and Incursions
- Fundraising Activities